Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Frugality

In the last post I talked about trying to save money. Well, the experiment was this: See how much money I could save by not buying anything pre-packaged, with the exception of things like rice and dry beans and such. For me this was cutting out the 12.00 box of Hot-Pockets, Boxed cereal and even my Smart Ones. I bought no boxed cookies, no granola bars. All of these things are not good for you anyway.

So I planned my meals and planned for homemade snacks. Let me just say here, I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Baking, baking and washing dishes.

The end result at the cash register was this, normally I can easily spend $200.00 and then $40.00 at the Dollar General getting paper products, soap and household cleaners, I spent $140.00 total. A saving of $100.00. WOW! That is a lot of money!

Bottom line is you pay for convenience. Not only with money either as most of what we gave up this week is bad for our health.

So here's to working hard and saving. Lord, give me stamina. :)





2 comments:

  1. GO you!!!!

    Our grocery budget was cut by more then HALF... I stopped buying a ton of convience foods due to that.. I miss them but, I do know they are better for us.
    I do know that I need to be baking more.. you are putting me to shame :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread looks so delicious. I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails