Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Home Made Automatic Dishwasher Detergent- The Verdict

Well, in my quest to save as much money as I could at the grocery store this week I decided that I would try some of these home made concoctions to use around the house. Since the ingredients were easy to find and the store bought alternatives are where a lot of money is spent, I decided to start with detergent.

Here is the recipe:

1 C. Borax
1 C. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 cup of salt
4 packets of lemonade Kool-Aid mix.

White Vinegar for the rinse.


Barring extreme user failure, and I don't know how I could have messed it up, this was awful.....AWFUL......So horrible that I had to wash the entire load by hand to get the white whatever off of the dishes. Even after washing it all again with 2 cycles of Cascade.....yep.....all by hand! By hand= not happy homemaker.

So there you go. Learn from me. I read several reviews before I tried this. All of the fine ladies warning me that it did not work did not stop this headstrong Southern woman from trying it anyway. :)

If you venture on and try it for yourself, be warned, this is what you may end up with:




On a positive note. The home made laundry detergent seems to be working great. I read that this recipe equals out to cost about .01 cent per load. I have always been a die-hard Gain user. Note: I will not give up my store bought fabric softener. :)


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip of what NOT to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for ways to save money and use better products around the house. I have never tried making my own laundry or dishwasher detergent, but should really try - way better for us & the environment, and way cheaper. I'll be checking in again to see what other things you're trying.

    As an aside, feel free to trade in your fabric softener for plain white vinegar. I switched a while ago and it works fabulously well. The only difference is there is no smell as opposed to the "mountain air", etc smells with the bought stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I hope you get this. I make homemade dish detergent, too. I use Citric Acid. I get it from the Herb Shop around town. My mom used the Lemonade and got horrible results! I like it and a double batch lasts almost 3 weeks. Also, it has to be Kosher Salt.

    Jennifer
    Alvaton
    jawwn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer! I may just give that a try!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails