Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Healthy Latte....yes, it is possible (and it tastes good)

Yesterday I mentioned my new sugar free lifestyle.

All is well except for the longing in my soul for a Starbuck's White Chocolate Mocha or a Venti Pumpkin Spice latte. Really, for the first few days I almost cried. I have a Tassimo, and it brews some pretty amazing mocha and cappuccino  and lattes...oh my!

Okay, I think you get that I love some good, sweet coffee drinks.

The quest to reproduce that in a sugarless, low-fat version that actually is worth the trouble and worth drinking seemed hopeless.

Here is my new favorite, healthy drink.











Have on hand:


Gevalia espresso T-disc or strong coffee or other espresso.


Torani Sugar free syrup, I used the hazelnut flavor.


Stevia in the Raw, 1 packet


Almond milk, unsweetened. 1 Cup


I used a Froth au Lait milk frother. A hand held would probably work too.





Froth the milk, adding the packet of stevia and 2 TBS of the sugar-free syrup before the frother shuts off.


Pour it into a cup, brew your T disc or add your espresso.





Voila!





Amazing!





Wonderful!





Ahhhh....happiness in a cup!








Want more happiness?


Check this out!








Yep! 32 calories! Do you know that my usual latte would have come in at 150 calories with fat and sugar!


Now, I do not advocate using artificial sweeteners other than stevia or xylitol. But it was a matter of sanity for me. (The syrup is sweetened with Splenda) I have to have coffee that taste good. Period. :) Just out of curiosity I checked the nutrition facts for my beloved pumpkin spice latte. Hold on to your seat: 410 Calories, 17 fat grams, no fiber and 48 grams of sugar! Whoa! I think I will try some of Torani's sugar free Pumpkin syrup next!





Enjoy!


P.S.


Blue Diamond Breeze froths better than Silk. But, I think it has 10 more calories.


UPDATE 7-17-2013 Since I am now trying to follow the Trim Healthy Mama plan I have revisited this recipe during a Fuel Cycle, FP day. Don't have a Tassimo? Just brew some really strong espresso to counter all of the almond milk. It works just as well with KAL stevia extract,  sweetened to taste. A little vanilla extract added, and some Fat Free Redi-whip will make you feel all special. :) A Fuel Pull Latte! Happy, Happy, Happy!


Linking up at Stacy Makes Cents and Gwen's Nest for Trim Healthy Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha! I need a mug that says "I only DO decaf." :-) Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails