Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Got Juice?


We do!

I have had this very nice juicerBreville JE900 Juice Fountain Professional Juice Extractor for a few years that I have used sporadically. After watching the documentary Food Inc. it sent me off on a tangent. I wont say new tangent because the film told me nothing that I already did not know, with the exception of the information on genetically modified food. So I decided that I have been very lax in how we buy and prepare food. Planning, buying and preparing healthy food takes time and lots of thought and here lately the truth is my mind has been completely on school planning. Well, if you need a jump start just watch Food, Inc. or The Beautiful Truth. (You can see them instantly on Netflix) So then I checked out a few books at the library. I went in to get Juicing, Fasting and Detoxing for Life then the librarian suggested Animal, Vegetable Miracle so I got it also and have been reading both, but mainly trying to get through the juicing book. Another two books that I have on my shelf and refer to often are What the Bible Says about Healthy Living and Greater Health God's Way. I am trying to be level headed with this and not get so wrapped up in changing our world overnight. I have been back to baking bread for some time, however getting veggies in our life is just hard. For one, our taste buds are very jaded by the typical American diet.

So this week we went to the grocery store and found most of what we wanted in organic. I got some apples, carrots, ginger root and cucumber. The ideal thing would be to continue this and to grow what I could. That's another project. We made the following juice:
8 carrots
1 large cucumber
1 inch slice of ginger
1 apple.

The kiddos were eagerly awaiting the fresh juice. I warned them that it would not taste like a smoothie. :) 
As you can tell by the picture Janie loved it! She took the cup from Josh and bottoms up! Jessie was not so fast to guzzle it, but I give her credit for drinking it up. (You can see Josh sorting our fresh blueberries....ummm...what to do with those?)

It's a slow start, but at least I can say we had raw, fresh vegetables and fruit on this day. I really hope it helps jump start my weight loss efforts, I have 70 more pounds to go to get to my goal and I want to make it happen!

Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life: Unleash the Healing Power of Fresh Juices and Cleansing DietsGreater Health God's Way: Seven Steps to Inner and Outer BeautyAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (P.S.)What the Bible Says About Healthy Living: Three Biblical Principles that Will Change Your Diet and Improve Your Health





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails