Thursday, July 15, 2010

MFW K - Our First Week


After anticipating the start of little Jenna's formal school time for several weeks the morning finally came. She was so excited! The first day was so sweet. It had me thinking of the very first time I started out teaching my oldest kindergarten. With that thought came so many feelings but the greatest one was a feeling of gratitude for what I have learned about homeschooling in the last ten years. You see, my first experience with Jessie was NOTHING like the one with Jenna. To start with I had the program that everyone would mention to me when I was just thinking of homeschooling. It was Abeka and it was HORRIBLE!! I'm sorry, I am sure there are some of you that love it and I will say this Jenna could easily do it. I was just starting out and  THOUGHT that Jessie should just do it. What was wrong? Lots, here are some of my thoughts on that. One, Jessie had not been raised in a homeschool environment. I had not planned on homeschooling from the start. I did not do things on a daily basis that would prepare her to learn....I was leaving that for the professionals. :) Two, I did not know how to gauge her readiness....she was not ready for cursive writing at four years of age, but thinking like this: "If others can do it she can too" caused me and her much tears. We dumped Abeka and went to Sonlight. I learned all about models of education that were totally different from anything I had ever done. Educating the Wholehearted Child became my constant companion. Charlotte Mason became intriguing to me. Books became a passion. Mindless cartoons were replaced with Leap Frog dvd's. Then we got rid of the TV all together. (Now we do Netflix) I would not go back. I treasure what I have learned through the grace of God. I have always loved homeschooling, now it is a way of life. The hearts of my little ones are my first concern. Our relationship with each other, not worksheets, is priority.

So saying all of that MFW K has been the sweetest blessing. Here is a little about what we did this week. As I said, Jenna could do the rigorous stuff so this week's work was completed quickly. I must confess that we finished all 10 days in the Creation Unit in 4. She was just that eager and I did not want to hold her back. I am looking forward to getting to the meat of the program with her, so we moved quickly. She loves reading her creation book to everyone. She tries to teach Janie what she has learned. She demands more school so she has been doing more coloring, cutting and pasting to keep her feeling as busy as the others. This child will not let mom be slack when it comes to doing school. :) (The Lord knows just what we need! I have been praying to get more done during the day) We also spent some time at the library picking up books for ECC and she got her very own library card!

What a fun week.

What has made the biggest difference for me? MFW and that wonderful set of lesson plans!

Now, I cant wait to start ECC!!!





11 comments:

  1. I almost gave up homeschool because of Abeka. I loved how pretty the worksheets were, but the instructions were just too many words on too many sheets of paper. WoW! I sound like a deadbeat learner, I promise I have the education background, I just could not figure out how it required that much reading to teach them and that labor intensive. SO I moved onto the dvd series, because if I can't do it this way, then I am not capable.

    Well, I couldn't do that either. Both my daughter and I burned out in 3 months. We took a break, I sent her to VPK. ANd God showed real quick, that we were ment to homeschool. I read about MFW! Wow! I got the kit and loved it so much, I could not wait to start. We strung out creation, but we are in our groove now. and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was such a good week for you! We did K last year and I remember how much fun it was. I'll be doing it again w/ my 4 year olds. When are you starting ECC? We're starting at the beginning of August. Just a few weeks away and I'm excited :) Congratulations on a great first week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with Abeka. I taught Abeka for 10 years and started out homeschooling with Abeka. After a couple of years, we got rid of it except for their Language.

    Who do your older children do with the MFW? I've been looking at it over the last few weeks. What is ECC?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabel, I will be starting ECC on August 2nd. I am working on getting my book basket full and making sure I have supplies. WE CANT WAIT!

    Lori, I hopped over to your blog and left you a note.

    Trish, I am so glad you did not give up! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exciting! Thanks for sharing. We will be one week behind you! Keep showing all your work we love seeing it! It is motivating.
    God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you've had a great first week! I'll start ECC on August 2nd with the big girls...and K during the last week of August. Can't wait! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always encouraged by you and others that are willing to give so much for their children and the love of God that shines through from your life, I am a proud momma, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie, I sooo agree with you about A Beka being horrible -at least it was for us. When we started homeschooling I used it b/c the only homeschool friend I had at the time used it and it was all I knew to use. I was so clueless. I felt like a drill sargent every day making my kids get through ALL of their assignments, checking off the list -the endless writing in workbooks... I thought they had to do exactly what the TM said just b/c it said so. We also had many tears -my kids during the day, me mostly at night from feeling so guilty about how our homeschool day went. I am so thankful that God led us to MFW and for showing me that training up my kids to love Him was the most important thing. The academics are secondary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are finding something that works for you! This is our first year with MFW (ECC), previously I had just used things a la carte, but it feels SO great to use such a well laid out program, we love it so far!!
    Thanks for posting on my blog!

    Anna @
    http://passionatemotherhood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had a first great week! OK so we have not gotten our materials yet they are coming. How am i supposed to know what books to get for the basket?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Candi
    Thanks for stopping by here. For the Book Basket: In the back of your teachers manuals it will have recommended reading list for each week of lessons. You can also pick any book that is on the topic that you are studying. For instance, this week in the K program we are studying the letter S with the science focusing on the Sun. So on top of getting the recommended books, I also searched the library for books on Sun in the children's book section and found a couple of good ones. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails