Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Called

"I am not called to be successful, I am called to be faithful." ~ Mother Teresa


I read that quote some days ago and have been thinking on it a lot. Just this week I ran into an old friend, a fellow Christian, and almost immediately he asked how our church was doing. We conversed for a moment and quickly I recognized myself in his words. He was gracious but frustrated. He expressed his love for the church and his pastor as he expressed his sadness over the lukewarm condition of many fellow travelers. I felt the need to say something to uplift him, while I was thinking about how down I had been recently over the same things. Mostly, this causes great concern for the condition that my children may find the church in as they grow. So, as I do, I went to my sweet, patient husband. (His faith never wavers, if he is frustrated it hardly shows). I said things to him that was no new news. He listened and then said, with love,


 "Melanie, Jesus himself walked this earth and had to look at his disciples and ask then if they, too, would go away. Why do you think we should expect to be treated any different?" (John 6:67) Good question.


Now, if you believe the lie that the Bible is not relevant to today just read this passage:


Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:
And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.
And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.
And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.
 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. (Luke 14:15-20)




And then this:

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!


So there you go. This is not new. Melanie, you are not special. However, you can be faithful. You can teach your children by example without ever having to open your mouth. {Isn't that the best kind of lesson anyway?} 




Look at those eyes! What does she see in me? Forget my words, what does she learn from my walk?

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Matt 18:6


In the hectic bustle of life, homeschool, summer, church activities it is very easy to become lazy. But "for such a time as this" it is time to rise up and act according to the call we profess. 


♪♫♪♫♪


Jesus is my Savior, I shall not be moved;
In His love and favor, I shall not be moved,
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters,
Lord, I shall not be moved.

In my Christ abiding, I shall not be moved;
In His love I'm hiding, I shall not be moved,
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters,
Lord, I shall not be moved.
If I trust Him ever, I shall not be moved;
He will fail me never, I shall not be moved,
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters,
Lord, I shall not be moved. 
On His word I'm feeding, I shall not be moved;
He's the One that's leading, I shall not be moved,
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters,
Lord, I shall not be moved. 
Chorus
I shall not be, I shall not be moved;
I shall not be, I shall not be moved;
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters,
Lord, I shall not be moved.


Although times look desperate, although Christians are despised more every day, although we want to faint, today is not that day that we do. Stay strong and fight for the cause, your very soul and the soul of our children depend on it!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails