Thursday, June 12, 2008

Daily Bread


I wanted to share my recipe for homemade bread using freshly milled grains. I have to admit that lately during this pregnancy I have been buying store bought rolls and bread out of convenience but with the cost of food seemingly going up every week I decided that I better get to baking. We were consuming at least one loaf of bread and a dozen dinner rolls every day.

This makes 2 loaves of bread or 24-36 dinner rolls. I did one loaf and 12 Large rolls. I also use this same recipe to make hamburger buns.

First:
Mill 2 cups spelt & 4 cups of hard white wheat

Into mixer place:
3 cups very warm water (115-130 degrees)
1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder
1/4 lecithin powder
3/8 cup of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup raw honey
21/2 TBS SAF instant yeast
5 cups of the flour mixture

Mix just a moment, until all is moistened and cover and let set for 10-15 minutes. ( Don't forget this and get too busy, it will come over the sides of the bowl)

Then add:
1 1/2 TBS Realsalt (sea salt)
1 1/2 TBS dough enhancer
1/4 cup gluten

Add remaining flour, cover and turn on the mixer. The dough should clean the sides of the bowl, mine usually does not at this point so I slowly add unbleached all purpose flour until it does. Knead on low or med. speed for 5-7 minutes trying to insure the gluten is developed.
Cover and let rise until double in size.

To shape into rolls I roll dough into a rope and tie it in a knot. Place on greased pan.
For bread just shape into loaf and place in greased loaf pan.
Let rise until double in a warm place. (I have the oven preheating and I sit the pans on top of the stove for the dough to rise.)

Rolls: Bake 10-12 minutes or until brown.
Bread: Bake 25-30 minutes or until brown.

This is delicious straight out of the oven with honey on it.
You can also make a big batch of smaller rolls and freeze them for another day. Just place in freezer after shaping. (Do not let them rise before freezing)

3 comments:

  1. We have run out of grain but more should be coming sometime this week!! We are so EXCITED! Having homemade bread is such a blessing isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious, and your bread tastes at least as good as it looks. You are the WOMAN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMMMY!!!!!

    The home made bread and your warm wonderful home...there's a combination to soothe any heart and make the love of the Lord evident.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails