Thursday, March 18, 2010

Half the Price and Half the Calories

So what is it that I am up to now? Well, I kind of have a one track mind and when I get going on something I really get involved. At the present it is saving as much money as I can running this household. To me that is the best way I can bring money into our home. I think for the first time in my married life I am truly being a good steward of what God has given us and the money that my husband works so hard to make. Now, let me say that I have never been a big shopper for stuff that most women go for, clothes, shoes, etc. but when I went to the grocery store or "stuff"- mart I thought it was pretty much open season and what I deemed necessary I bought, no matter the cost. My easy going honey never questioned me. So when I decided to do this little challenge with myself I dont think I expected to see that I could save as much money as I have. The first week as you know from this post, I cut $100.00 off the total at checkout. Last week I bought enough food for a nine day menu, complete with 3 meals a day and snacks, for $120.00. My honey said he is getting spoiled with me preparing his lunch and getting up to make his breakfast. ( Yes, I confess, I have been married 17 1/2 years and have never done this. What can I say? I am married to an easy to please man.) This, by the way, is saving us about 40-50  dollars a week.

Oh, I am having fun with this! Every time I think I need something my first thought is "Can I make it?"  With a basic stock in the cabinet I am finding that I can.

Today's home made, money saving project:
Home Made Chocolate Milk Mix

Here is the recipe:


1/2 cup Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1 cup Sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon Vanilla
dash of salt

Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Add water, and mix until smooth. Bring this mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for one minute, be careful this does not boil over. Remove from heat, when this cools add the vanilla. 

I put mine in an old squeeze bottle. Refrigerate. It should be good for 2 or 3 weeks ( It will never last that long here)

By the time I got around to taking a photo the glasses were empty.

The savings:
I priced a can of Hershey's Syrup at Ingles for 1.28 for 16 ounces.
This made 14 ounces for .70 cents.


This took me all of five minutes!

The biggest payoff is the fact that the first ingredient listed on the store bought syrup was High Fructose Corn Syrup. Mine figures at 50 calories per 2 TBS. The other is 100 calories for the same amount.


Really, I am having too much fun with this. I am dreaming of gardens and sewing......oh, the possibilities. I can't wait to see what I can make next. Got any suggestions?

Blessings!


6 comments:

  1. I just made this same recipe and the kids love it! For my hubby and I, I make it with strong coffee instead of water and... WOW! Mocha Latte! I never realized that it was lower calorie too. Have a good time saving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mocha Latte!! Oh, I will have to try that one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if high fructose corn syrup weren't already bad enough, now we discover that it actually contains mercury. It makes all the sense in the world to roll up our sleeves and with a little effort, we can save MONEY, and save our families' HEALTH at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah,that was soooo good!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mercury in high fructose corn syrup?! I'll be watching for that ingredient, to be sure!

    Way to go on your new discoveries. I am so proud of you! Keep up the good work and please keep posting about it.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoWW!!! This is so awesome and encouraging!!! GO Miss Melanie!!!! I love doing stuff like that for my family, like finding recipes with ingredients that are usually on hand! so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails