Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Revamping the Homeschool with My Father's World

After homeschooling via the eclectic route for the last couple of years I have found a wonderful curriculum that has everything I have been trying to pull together on my own. Get this......ALL PLANNED OUT!!!

You might say, "Well, what is this perfect joy you have found?" Drum roll please.......

I have walked past this booth at the convention for the last 8 years or so, at one point I really considered it for Josh when he was starting K. I just think that the time had to be right. Let me tell you, planning everything out yourself is hard work and time consuming and I just don't have the time right now. MFW uses most of the books and resources that I love. I absolutely adore the Charlotte Mason and Classical methods of education and greatly desired to some how mesh them together.

So, this is my introductory post about it. I plan to journal it here. We will be doing K with Jenna. Exploring Countries & Cultures with Josh and Ancient History and Literature, their high school program, for Jessie (can you believe that I just said high school? Oh my, that just really makes me have strange feelings!)

There are some really awesome support groups over on Yahoo Groups. I can ask any question and within minutes wonderful advice comes pouring in. The homeschool moms over there are great and share so much, including their hard work in the file sharing.

So right now here is where I am starting: I am working on getting the K together and starting it well ahead of the others. I want to get rolling on one without trying to follow three different paths that I have never trod at one time. I have found a file on the groups loop that list the lessons on a grid, which if you have looked at the teacher's manual you would understand how this would be a major help and I am thankful for the mom that freely shares her hard work. I am also going to organize it all in one binder as suggested in another file. When I looked at this plan and went over the manual I have to admit that the cobwebs started falling from my head, thank you Lord! I love it when I start to understand things more clearly, I feel so much more productive.

So, hopefully I can keep updating our journey with MFW and hope it will be a help for someone else.

Off to work now!

Blessings!

8 comments:

  1. You're very ambitious going for the 3 different levels at once, but I know you can do it. I'm looking forward to trying...um...IMPLEMENTING this with my crew too. We are going to be SO efficient this year, I just know!

    Gooooooooo us! Rah Rah Rah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Mom, you are the greatest example of unselfish love that I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so amazing!! You sound so HAPPY!!!! I will be praying for your school year. I KNOW that you can and will be able to give them the education that God has designed, so that they can do God's work in this world.

    I am blessed to be your friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Melanie.
    I saw your post when my friend Trena B. shared it on Facebook. I am also a great fan of MFW - I wrote a blog post just the other day after finishing our first year of it (http://tinahollenbeck.blogspot.com/2010/06/out-of-wilderness-my-fathers-world.html). And, like you, we'll be doing K and ECC this coming school year (no high schoolers yet!). I also love All About Spelling and am on The ChatterBee. Small world! I'm going to follow your blog now...and I'd love it if you could stop by mine, too. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! We have loved all the years that we used MFW :) I hope that you will have a great year filled with lots of fun memories. I miss using it, but we needed to change because their High School program wasn't ready when my girls started High School.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I too am going to be doing MFW--K, ECC, and high school. I really am appreciative of any suggestions on how to make it run smoothly. This is my first year attempting MFW, so I feel like a new home schooler! LOL!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you so much for posting this! We are about to start MFW K. its my first year of homeschooling and I am looking for help/encouragement. Is there a link to the grid you found on yahoo? that sounds great! thanks and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lindsay,

    You must be a member of the group to access the file, not sure if you are yet, but if not it is simple. Here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyFathersWorldKindergarten/files/

    It is the one titles "Julianna's Kindergarten Lesson Plan Sheet"

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails