Thursday, January 27, 2011

And in Homeschool News....

Here at our little homeschool we are plugging right along.

How is My Father's World? Well, I am sure some of you on the blogroll may be wondering...

WONDERFUL!

LOVE IT!

First:

MFW K

The simplicity of it is just so wonderful. Phonics is going so well. Jenna is my easiest one yet to teach reading....I am 100% sure that has something to do with me....not child 1 or child 2! :)

So here is an updated "Jenna and the A A Apple Song": featuring Janie, the two year old. Got to love that she is learning the sounds!!


On to Exploring Countries and Cultures:
Again, the lesson plans are just a hit with me. The books that are incorporated into this curriculum are great. Most definitely books that I would and have chosen to use. Thankfully, now I do not have to do the planning!

I really wish I could remember to take more pictures of Josh...but, honestly....he is at that age where he would just like for mom to leave him out of the pictures and blog....boys.....

The greatest thing in ECC? The Geography Game, of course! And, he is good at it. Also, the passport is a big hit. I love the map work that is included. I love what I am learning.

And last but not least. My Father's World Ancient History and Literature: Jessie loves it! I really wish I could study more of it with her. Last week we did the reading of Bulfinch's Greek Mythology together and I really did enjoy it. I never learned any of this stuff in school....really.....or I just don't remember. :) She loves her own schedule and checkoff list. She even LOVES writing the essays. Imagine that!

So, we have made it through the holidays and then several snow days, then the passing of a loved one this past week. Now we are trying like mad to get in a groove and plow through some uninteruppted weeks of school. I know that when the weather breaks we will all want to get out of the house and into the yard and woods. I've warned them....work hard now...spring is coming. As it stands we will basically school throughout the year. Taking vacations here and there. We will be ready for our new books in September. I am already looking forward to the upcoming homeschool conference where I can see and feel all of the new books....It is a sickness....I know.

Speaking of next year and new books. If you are doing MFW now are you planning to continue with it?

Happy Homeschooling!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the Homeschool conference again,1,0000000000 dollar jelly beans and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this encouraging update on your homeschool year. Love the videos! We are also doing MFW K and I have skipped lots of the planned activities because my son already knew letter sounds but since I have a 3 year old tag along I am thinking I should have done it ALL anyway hoping she may pick up some of it.
    I am looking forward to first grade. Somedays I think I have more fun than the kids.
    Thanks for sharing. Your enthusiasum is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clicked onto your blog via Generation Cedar...what lovely little girls...my 4yo boy will be doing MFW K next year...we are so excited. My older two boys, 13yo and 11yo are on the second year with Rome to Reformation. We love it! We skipped Creation to Greeks (the 2nd yr in the 5yr cycle)so that my oldest, the "8th grader", could do his favorite topic, Medieval Ages! Normally, skipping is not advised, but MFW said since we would be continuing through their high school curriculum that next year my now 8th grader would be doing basically an in depth "Creation to Greeks" if you will so I didn't want him to have ancient history two years in a row.

    My friend has her daughter in the second grade curriculum (starting w/MFW from K)and they love it. She said she is beginning to see her daughter, who struggled with reading at first, really begin to blossom and even excel.

    It's amazing that if we just slow it down until our children truly get it, that they excel at it in the end.

    Love your blog!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails